Thursday 30 June 2016

Cooking in bulk

Since my daughter left home, I've gained a sort of apathy for the kitchen. I think what's happening is that I'm drifting back to my previous existence of grazing rather than wanting big meals. In the seven years I've been here I've put on a lot of weight :( It's mostly to do with cooking too much. I grew up in a family where your plate was handed to you already served. I came here and saw that life was "serve yourself"; so I started doing that, and since my husband always took seconds I made sure there were always seconds to be taken.

Ending with me taking seconds.

But now with only three of us and me preferring to eat small things instead of two plates for dinner, I get lazy and don't always feel like cooking at all. End result is too many takeaways and tv-dinners.

I'm trying to address that by making my cooking time more efficient, so this week I made six meals of chicken in sweet and sour sauce. I served three bowls and put three bowls into the fridge. No seconds allowed, the second three are for later this week. Truth be told none of us need seconds, and if people get hungry there are plenty of snack items available. I also did the same with a huge batch of spaghetti bolognese.

So today I'm feeling pretty chuffed with myself and my fridge full of "ready dinners". We'll see whether it's a habit I can keep up. I think this might be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment