Tuesday 22 September 2015

Stock

I will admit, I am not a super-duper magic-handed chef extraordinaire. I don't make my own stock (despite what the title may have led you to believe). One thing which I DO do, however, is keep pan drippings and use them as stock anyway.

Who-what? Well now and then we cook roast objects in the oven, meaning a chunk of meat sitting on a pan and heated until it is of a suitable done-ness for the eatering. Often they're not even seasoned by me (pre-marinated... guilty). But whatever it is, I keep the dirty pan once the meat is all gone, scoop all the leftover juices and scraps into a container, and stick it in the freezer. It's my version of stock. I use it in soups or casseroles.

Tonight we had Lamb Soup. It didn't really have much in the way of actual lamb chunks, but it had vegetables and the stock from our last lamb roast (special roast lamb dinner when my dad had visited). The soup smelled fantastic with plenty of small scraps of lamb, plus it tasted pretty dang lamby and good, even if I so say so myself - just vegies, one stock cube, and the lamb shenanigans stock. Not bad as far as feeding about six people goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment