Friday 12 January 2018

Small Treats

The purpose of a crumpet is to hold as much butter and honey as possible.

I was thinking about my bank balance last night (and such thoughts are not generally very pleasant ones) and pondering that all the "money" I have is pre-allocated, and I really won't be able to spend anything extra until pay day. The thing is, since today is my precious Day Off™ after eight days of working in a row, I felt like I "deserved" something special.

Anyway, before I even got very far on that thought, I had a huge long sleep in then ate crumpets for a late breakfast. And the funny thing is, I've lost the urge to treat myself - I'm quite content enough already. Crumpets are good. Lazy days are good. Vanilla-scented candles are good. Coffee in a warm room while Skyping a friend, that's good too.

Sometimes we're so fixed on blowing wads of cash that we forget how to appreciate simple things!

I have everything I need. There's credit on my electricity, there's food in my fridge, there's a supermarket card for any extra essentials, there's cash for the train. I don't need to panic about that bank balance. Breathe.

Now I just need to figure out what to get a friend for their birthday gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment