Saturday 16 June 2018

Custodial Assurance Facilitator

That's me. I have a new job. Most people would call it "cleaner", of course, but hey, I'm nothing if not creative, I mean, strange. It's only part-time but it's flexible, so I can work it around my hosting, and can even still work it if I manage to bag a full-time job.

What's new in frugal things though? Well, I pondered something I've thought about doing for months, and that is to buy myself some new sneakers, aka joggers aka trainers. I kind of hate the ones that I own. But somehow I managed to resist and bargained with myself that I can buy them in a weeks' time. I also wondered what to wear to my new job, as I know the shirt is supplied but there was no mention of trousers, and I've decided to wear a pair that I already own and if they ask me to buy a different colour, I'll deal with that later.

I finally signed up for a Boots card. I don't know why I'd put it off for so long (maybe I assumed it was a pain to sign up, but it was easy) and I scored me a nice 24p of points on my first purchase alone.

Poundland, where I buy my milk, laundry detergent and croissants, had reduced cereal for 75p. It's honey wheat puff cereal, not sure whether it's my thing but that price made it on par with the price of corn flakes (the cheapest cereal ever) so I bought two boxes just to give myself some variety. Its best-before date is June, but I think you can guess just what I think of best-before dates on cereal. It'll still be fine for months. They also gave me a £2 off voucher for my next visit, only I'll need to spend £12 to use it. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how I'll make up that £12 without buying things I don't need! Think I might need to stock up on laundry detergent and possibly shower gel.

I'd been offering my paying guests orange juice squash with their breakfast, and realised it was running low. So I went to the supermarket that I knew sold it, only to find that particular branch doesn't stock it anymore, and only sells the sugar-free. A quick check of my phone to see where to buy it, and to my horror even if I went on a trek to get it, it's been hit with the sugar tax and is now well over £2 per bottle. I personally can't stand the sugar-free version. I know that sucralose is a thousand times better than aspartame (blechhh!) but it still annoys me. What I did see was that a different variety is only 45p. Well guess what my guests get now... blackcurrant. A flavour I'll personally never drink, but one that is a lot kinder to my pocket.

I'm washing linens so often that it occurred to me I could save money if I were able to wait a day and do two sets at once. Only trouble is, that means using one of my personal duvet sets for guests, which I kinda try not to do. I'm weighing up whether to buy another set. I might need to do some maths on how long it would take to pay for itself. Decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment