Saturday 14 July 2018

Ho Hum

Another week, another two job interviews. At least this time I feel like one of them went well. It's only part-time, but I applied anyway as I knew I could continue my cleaning job.

Or, I thought I could. That boss told me tonight that her plans to change it to early in the morning would not happen after all. Meaning that as soon as I get any other job, someone else will have to take over the cleaning, as I just won't be able to attend in mid afternoon every day. Boo. So if this new job is offered to me, I say... what? I'd have more income, but still not enough to live on, and it's a fixed-term contract, meaning I couldn't dump it if I found full-time work. Being locked into under-employment is almost as bad as being on a zero-hours contract.

On the plus side, I have another two interviews next week and two more companies say I've "progressed" in the hiring process. I did my extra few hours this week cleaning, too.

Yellow sticker bargains from Tesco
Bargained: a few yellow stickers at the supermarket.

Rescued: one borderline overripe banana in a waste paper basket with nothing else but papers. Currently awaiting encakenation.

Observation: just how many office people spend a fortune on food not prepared at home. A typical bin (emptied daily) in this "corporate anonymous office" contains two takeaway coffee cups, an empty soft drink bottle, a sandwich wrapper, and some kind of single-serve packaged snack like chocolate or crisps. Some of the desks have packaging from hot lunches, large soft drink cups, porridge-in-a-cup, smoothie bottle, empty bags that contained sliced apples or carrot sticks... and they repeat the buy every day. I empty about 30 bins at this new temporary cleaning job, and I estimate 20 of them are spending a tenner or more, every day, on food-on-the-go. Half of me wishes I had £200 a month to waste on the luxury of living on takeaways. The other half of me thinks how I could bring food and coffee from home and pocket an extra £180. Or bring food from home and work 23 fewer hours per week...

No comments:

Post a Comment