Tuesday 27 August 2024

Resist, Resist

I feel like I only post in here to complain about something. So, I will try to be more balanced in this update.

Little X became snotty during the week and it quickly escalated into a fever... which did not abate with Calpol. We ended up in the Emergency room at stupid o'clock and she spent five hours under observation. Naturally she cooled down slightly on the way, then hammed it up with the doctor, cuddled her like the traitor she is and thoughtfully wiped her snotty face all over her shirt. 😁 She finally gave up her partying at 3am, at which point they sent us home. Diagnosis was RSV and Bronchiolitis. Nasty in a baby of her age. We're staying close to home now and enduring the misery of having a blocked nose and not understanding why. This causes fun times during food, bottle, dummy, sleep. 😴 But she is slowly improving.

As for Little X, her current baby car seat is past its expiry date and the belts are worn on the sides. The  combi seat that I have for her is terribly unstable in the rear-facing position and she's really not safe facing forwards yet. I really, truly wanted a rear-facing seat, but they are horridly expensive and the affordable ones all seem to have the same disease as the combi (poorly anchored and wobbly). But today we got something awesome! A couple on Facebook have given away their rear-facing toddler seat, one that is actually designed to keep a child rear facing for longer. Little X meets the weight for it and they last until about 5 years of age 🥳 so this week I will clean it up and get it into place. This is better than I had hoped for. 😍

I am still doing the investing but I am nearing the end of the easy jobs, and it has been demoralising at times so it is hard to summon up the willpower to keep at it. One job is just absolutely refusing to pay me. Well I should say they are blaming my bank, which is not at fault incidentally. I have given up on them as cash earnings and I am trying to extract it as a gift card, so fingers crossed. The investing should get easier once I have built up a little bit of a pot of money and don't need to continually rush my profits out to move to the next job. Here's to the future.

I paid off the second-worst credit card using the advance from the worst one. I am hoping to coast through the three months and the balance stays at 0. Wish me luck. It wasn't costing me much in interest each month as it was a small balance, but it's a mental boost to kill that card.

Win: for the fourth time, TopCashBack has had a promotion, spend a certain amount anywhere and get cashback on top. Today it was spend £10, get a free £2 on top. So 25p back for the actual purchase (a supermarket gift card for £10) and £2 extra is now in my TCB account. 👍

Second win: I resubmitted to the council and it looks like I will now get the maximum discount for my council tax. 👍 So, something like £60 off what I used to pay. I'll take it.

Third win: Healthy Start has been approved, I had nearly forgotten. 👍 Every pound is helpful. 👍

My overall finances are still in the negative, at least in terms of permanent income, but it is really encouraging to be that much closer to equilibrium. I won't have to kill much of my debt before it edges back into green. I won't say I have been biting my nails of late but it's been on my mind more than it was, so this is a calming thought.

Must do some meditation more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment