Tuesday 11 August 2020

The Universe Has Five Weeks

That is, to show me a better prospect, before I bid on this squalid bucket of "fun".

I went to view the studio apartment. And although I really should have been prepared, I was really disappointed. It's in a dire state, in need of a kitchen, new bathroom, all the walls redone, the ceiling replaced and new carpet. I think the most disappointing part of it all is that I still know that it's going to be a fight to get this for the money that I have.

Essentially it's a dump, and the most unbelievable part was learning that the tenant still lived there! The place was filthy from top to bottom, but even removing layers of grime won't make this into a pearl.

Here's hoping that it doesn't get snapped up before auction and that I can keep a few thousand aside for the work.

J goes home in a few days so we decided to go out for a curry together - also because the "Eat Out to Help Out" scheme meant we'd get 50% off. Even at half price I wasn't impressed. I forgot coins to leave a tip but by the time we left, that didn't matter. They brought us one pappadum to share and a "pickle platter" we hadn't ordered and which wasn't free so had to be sent back. They brought our drinks (upsized from what we asked for, and charged at the higher price) then the mains took 40 minutes to arrive. I politely asked about rice and a staff member barked in my face that I hadn't ordered rice. We managed to get a tiny tureen brought at a ridiculous price. My meal was... edible. No spice at all, and not outstanding. J also remarked his "two-chilli" dish had no spice at all. Halfway through he winced in agony as he bit into a whole chilli. We rated the experience a 6/10. I'm pretty sure I can prep a 7/10 at home by nuking packets.

The two of us remarked that perhaps we'd been spoilt by the amazing Nepalese restaurant we used to frequent in Helsinki where every meal comes with free dahl, cucumber yoghurt, pappadums, naan, chutney and RICE.

PS. "Fallen through" studio at 45K has had an offer of 45K. It will be interesting to see if this goes ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment