Sunday 16 February 2020

Help To Save

Victory is mine! I qualified this month by earning enough but also not earning enough. I had a bit of overtime but my UC wasn't completely cancelled, so I am now the proud owner of a Help to Save account.


For those who missed the memo, it's a government-arranged dealio, you stash up to £50 per month into the account and at the end of the term the government will give you 50p for every pound you put away. Tax-free. INSANE. That's free money so you can see why I was keen.

To qualify, you must be working but be on a low income and also receiving Universal Credit. More info at this link.

I ran out of butter this morning while making my lunch for work and I vaguely wished that I'd gotten some free during the week. And the universe responded today, with not one but two tubs of butter. I feel like she was giving me a smug look and saying, "Don't say I never give you nothin'."

The weather is abysmal. Storm Dennis has been drenching us and I finished my work day soaked, tired and sore. Plus, I am once again slightly annoyed at the fact that I will get no weekend, again, due to agreeing to extra hours of overtime. I was SO DETERMINED that it would not happen again this week and then I was completely unable to say no when both bosses were in need. Sigh. Am physically exhausted right now and walking like an old woman. I was comparing notes with a couple of workmates who've been there longer than I have, and unfortunately, both of them related to the "getting frozen into that shape" phenomenon whereby sitting still for thirty minutes after a work day leaves you unable to stand up. Even after years in the job. And here was I hoping that I'd get used to it...

Free stuff: Orange juice, bread rolls, herb and garlic flatbread thing, butter (£3.10).

No comments:

Post a Comment