Wednesday 15 September 2021

Ouchrun

So there's this thing called Parkrun where 200-odd insane people get together every Saturday and run 5k around a park. I've known about it for ages and always wondered why anyone thinks that's enjoyable in any way. But since I heard rumours that you can walk it, and since I found out my colleague goes every week and achieves similar times to my treadmill 5k, I thought, hell why not?

Well recently I've discovered "why not" and Now I Know Better. I didn't come last, I managed to beat five people (possibly in wheelchairs, on crutches or with walking frames). It felt like I pushed myself harder than ever before. It felt like 10k. It was, quite frankly, horrible, and I missed my time estimate by a long way. This rumour that people walk the 5K? No. No they do not. Not one person walked it all. The slowest of the bunch power walked alternating with jogging (like I did). I felt like I was dying and also on fire, and barely able to brain enough to think: I need to stay ahead of the marshals right at the back. Embarrassing.

I've literally pulled muscles SO badly that when I crouched down to work on bottom shelves that afternoon at work, I was in agony and considered just assigning that task to someone else. Muscles in agony on the same day is a new one for me. I really, truly overdid it and soreness gets worse on day 2 and 3... So if you're looking for a nice, relaxing and enjoyable little bit of fun at your local park, I recommend not Parkrun.

Having said that, I really highly expect that once I pick up my fitness a bit more a whole lot more, I might revisit the idea. The people were nice and they even played Eye of the Tiger as we were nearing the end 😂

Spendy McSpenderson: Plane ticket (WOOHOO!) plus pre-departure and post-return Covid tests all booked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment