Friday 29 October 2021

Because I am Me

I do things different. Or, if you like, weird shit happens to me.

I applied for two roles at a large homeware store. Let's call the roles: Section Sales Supervisor (the section not specified) and Electronics Manager. So I get a call from "Amy" inviting me for an interview, and then I realise I don't know which job it was. I call back and I cannot get through. No email. Ok, well I'll go along and just try to wing it.

The front desk tells me Amy works in Electronics. Aha! Good. I'm introduced to the Operations Manager. OM goes into lots of detail about budgets and targets and so on. Everything we discuss here matches the management role. I'm also asked my current salary and requested salary (which means it's the manager role, as the SSS role has an advertised hourly rate).

OM leaves, and I mention to Amy I applied for two roles, and list them. She says, oh, the management role I have nothing to do with, OM handles that. Holy crapsticks. I've just interviewed for sales supervisor? With this level of discussion about targets, forecasts and all the management oversight I'd be doing, and which stakeholders I'll be liaising with?

Possibility #1: the sales supervisor role is disgustingly underpaid with a ridiculously high set of responsibilities?

Possibility #2: OM thought I was interviewing for the manager role?

Possibility #3: He knew I'd applied for both and decided to do it all at once and then think about where I might fit?

How I feel just now: not the right company for me. The previous company now looks very much more like my thing and within reach of my capabilities. I also feel ever so slightly mentally wrung out!

Run like me: am on week 3 of the Couch to 5k, and am beyond amazed that I managed to run the longer stretches today of 3 minutes each. Three minutes sounds pathetic, but I'm being kind to myself while my left leg is not doing a very good job of being a leg, and I am just deciding that I am "on target".

No comments:

Post a Comment