Wednesday 10 February 2021

Not Great

So, interview done. I really don't think I smashed it. I did successfully derail the interviewer multiple times and we got chatting about general things (it is always a good sign when they forget they are conducting an interview and are just having general conversation). I answered one question really poorly, the one where they asked me about a big decision I had made in a workplace. It was a lame example I managed to give and I'm not sure that it came across in any way as "big". I did manage to explain that I had taken a risk and explained my reasons for the change to my colleagues at the time and that I even won the manager around in the end.

I also don't think I did brilliant in the "how do I run a shift" question even though I did make it clear that I spend time interacting with all my colleagues. There was that heart-sinking moment when I recognised a "prompt" - when an interviewer has not heard the answer they were looking for and they ask you something more specific to see whether you'll catch on, and give it. Because after I had answered and rambled a bit he asked what I would do if the shop was busy and I had too much to do. At least I spotted what he was after and I talked about what I would prioritise. How I think I got this one "wrong" was by not going with the obvious, looking after the customers in the queue first! Let's hope he took that one as a given...

I also managed to throw in that I had almost entirely trained myself into the role. I also talked about mentoring new colleagues and getting to know my team and how important that is so that you can support one another.

He did a lot of talking about how the team has to come first and how we can teach the skills to the right person, so that technical skill wasn't important to him. And he was good on his word, he didn't ask me a single technical question.

Ehhh. I am still disappointed in myself. I didn't get the chance to tell my two best "stories". But I did get one in, and I hope it was useful.

Flip side: I have managed to extend my main loan, not by a huge amount, but enough to get rid of my credit card balance. Next step: to refinance to a better rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment