Wednesday 29 December 2021

Be Careful What You Wish For

First things first: I hope you had a nice Christmas, whatever you did. I did absolutely nothing. So it was, well, a weekend. Meh. At least it was two days off.

As for work, I've been dreading the return. I managed two hours of picking a delivery and then, to my absolute glee, I was able to crack on with my online training.

I am learning all about the storage of oily fish. Thirty minutes in, I ate my lunch. Then I drank my "afternoon" coffee. I'm cold, restless and falling asleep. And there's still four hours left of my work day. 

Not really, I'd prefer to lie outside in the rain. 

I cracked and bought an energy drink. Actually I bought a box of four since I'll be at this all week, and probably another few weeks after that.

I went into my café! It was... anticlimactic. They were very pleased to see me and clearly enthusiastic to have a manager. My boss asked me to get a few things sorted and they jumped to it... but the resources needed were awol. I can't sort their overdue rotas, nor their holiday requests, partly because I'm lacking the knowledge of who in my team can do what, and partly I don't have access. Did I mention I still don't have a contract? This supermarket really is chaotic.

I've also been tasked with rearranging the dog food displays. Except I haven't been trained on where to find the correct documents to do that. I'm sure it's in the very-extensive training pile of dogshit that I haven't yet found my way through. Sigh. My pile of nonsensical technobabble jargonistic email is enormous, I've no idea which things actually involve me or matter to me personally. Dozens pile in daily, all of them are either forwarded from people somewhere up high in the food chain or are sent to every manager in the store. I am yet to understand a single email and I've just learned that a complete reset is due in my café in four days, including ordering necessary stock and cleaning and maintaining all equipment in the kitchen. I've never even been in the kitchen let alone know what's in there or how it works.

I really just want to quit and leave... work has been less physically horrible this week, as I knew it would be once Christmas was out of the way, but the more I learn about the mountain I will need to climb, the more I feel that I am not up to the task, and the less I actually feel there's any structure to teach it to me.

Sad times: My regular Olio pickup has been cancelled as they found a charity to do it instead. Bummer. I'm on the lookout for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment