Wednesday 8 December 2021

Time Flies.

It only seems like a month ago that they did the fire test but here we are again with the bi-annual check. Plenty of jumping out of my seat each time! And the roof work continues.

My first day of work was both awesome and a complete anti-climax. I'm shadowing people for the time being. I'm not correctly set up in the system just yet and my contract is not even done. I've then had two days off as my "weekend". It's been decided that I'll learn the "duty manager" stuff first, so I'll have about three weeks of just general managing the shop floor. The "awesome" part is not having any real responsibility or pressure until new year. 😊 

I'm both relieved and a bit ergh. I'm surprised by how much shop floor work I'll need to do which isn't in the cafe. I don't have my own office, all the PCs are shared and it seems they spend very little time on them. Someone also told me that they never take their breaks. This got to me in my last job, the "working extra time without pay" thing.

The staff canteen area is cold, clinical and impersonal, nowhere to put my own coffee mug, my own teabags. My handbag is an annoyance to stash in the manager's office (which doesn't get locked). There's not a proper way to store things cold (tiny fridge shared by 200+ staff) although I did see there's a micro and a toaster available. I think I've even got to pay for coffee and tea, although my shadowee did give me a latte for nothing today and didn't seem to pay for his own. Maybe I'm overreacting in finding it all a bit odd. Or maybe, you know, I'd hoped to actually see inside my cafe and meet a couple of my 21 staff? 

I think my real fear is related to being on my feet. The only thing you can do if you're not in an office is be on your feet. I don't want to work on my feet nine hours a day. I was hoping I had graduated out of that.

Time will tell.

I will give it a few months and see how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment