Friday 10 January 2020

The £10 Grocery Challenge - Half Way Point

Day 4

Cereal... I am almost through the "mixed tub of leftovers", hallelujah.

I then had another stupid official appointment, but this time managed to behave until I got home, at which point I demolished three mini-packs of savoury nut snacks that I had gotten free as a promotion (they weren't fabulous and I won't be buying them in the supermarket). I ate them with a glass of coke, since the opened bottle has lingered since forever. I also drank coffee today (as always) and threw in some vanilla syrup, mainly because its main flavour is just "sugar" and so I might as well just use it up.

Snack #2: crackers with Vegemite. An actual lunch didn't really happen, on account of all the nuts and crackers.

I also cooked a stew in the oven, made up of 100g frozen beef cubes, a portion of frozen beef & bolognese sauce, a potato and some onions, celery and carrot, with half a stock cube thrown in. I really just thought it would make a flavour change from the previous stew. This leaves me 200g of beef, and plenty of veg, so I might make the next cooking project a curry.

As an aside, having to cook the beef for hours to keep it tender means the oven is going for half the day (ouch, power bills). Something to keep in mind!

My consumption of fruit and veg has been quite poor... I am currently eating a pear to remedy that a bit.

Day 5

I'm getting weary of cereal for breakfast, so today I ignored that idea and had toast instead. It was suitably drowned in butter (I really do love this bread, it is high in protein, and I think I should keep buying fancy bread!).

On account of the breakfasty toast, my lunch was a pot noodle from the cupboard. I buy these from the pound shop in multi-packs (without the "pot" since I've got a reusable soup cup at home). They are only 14p each this way and are nice for a change.

I'm trying to resist eating the last of the crackers. There are biscuits though, so I did shovel three of those with a cuppa. I also ate my last apple, so the only fruit from here will be pears.

Dinner tonight was leftover stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment