Saturday 4 January 2020

The £10 Grocery Challenge - The Shop

So I have prepared for my challenge by taking a trip to Tesco. This challenge will include food from home. Here's what I bought:

Crackers, milk, pears, tinned tomatoes, baked beans, celery, carrots, bread (yellow sitckered), tzatziki (YS), pesto, onions, banana, pepperoni pizza and grated cheese

This challenge is in no way, shape or form, any kind of below-the-line or health food type of shop, as you can see. I mean... pizza? Pesto? Tzatziki? (In my defense they were all reduced, as was the fancy bread.)

Unfortunately this local Tesco has a limited range, forcing me into buying the branded crackers to go with my 30p tzatziki, and large bags of fruit and veg. In fact, quite a few of these items are cheaper at other supermarkets. But I also had points vouchers, and considering the discounted stuff, eh, it'll do.

The pizza will avoid me eating the same food for five days of the week, since I have a bag of stewing steak in my freezer to make stews. Also hopefully not be too resentful of always eating home-cooked food :D I'm also going to have beans on a jacket potato (hence the grated cheese).


Total spend: £9.34 (plus 93p worth of Tesco points). I'm counting this as an £8.41 shop. It leaves me £1.59 in case of, er, emergencies.

Also spent: £2.00 (not counted here) on some lovely Wensleydale and Cranberry for a cheese and crackers afternoon with the girls at work. This wasn't something I could, or would, have wanted to get out of - so I suppose you could say that I've gone over budget by 41p! As penance, I'm considering leaving the pesto untouched until next week. Considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment