Tuesday 9 August 2022

Un-Sustainable

I found the matching bag.
I have just laughed my way through a Guardian article that told me all about how I can get my sandals for this summer. They had three options: Buy, Rent and Thrift. The "Buy" section suggested I spend £194 on a pair of ugly "sustainable" black sliders. (What?) I could, alternatively, rent a pair of Gucci gold sandals for £66, or for £49 I can borrow a pair of Dolce & Gabbana sandals that look like someone's six-year-old attacked them with a Bedazzler.

The last option, to Thrift shoes, is more my thing. I got a nice pair of sort-of-fancy sandals last year for £7 from a charity shop, so I was excited to read on and see what they suggested. Sadly, I was invited to consider a £110 pair of mule heels. They might as well suggest that people save money on shoes by throwing £100 into the nearest bin.

I am really not sure on what planet £110 is considered thrifty. And it's tastelessly out of touch considering the current economic climate.

Related: a customer told me today that it was her first visit to Bargain Store and how exciting it all was to see all the cheap items. She had chosen a lemon fudge cake which she planned to serve for dessert in the afternoon, as she hadn't been able to afford to go out for lunch (it's not even a particularly cheap item even for us, this is a fancy cake). She was telling me how difficult money had been for her lately. This is a very common refrain, I hear from people all day, every day, that money is tight and they are having to rein in their spending. I commiserate, and nod, and tell her I really do understand what it's like.

Keep in mind she has just walked up and down a huuuuuge bargain shop, which features five aisles of traditional grocery/food/drinks and two large fridge & freezer aisles. The only way to the tills is to walk past all of that.

But then she told me she's off to Marks & Spencers to do her weekly shop.

Facepalm...

No comments:

Post a Comment